Sunday 21 December 2008

A VERY ROCKWELL CHRISTMAS

Among my favourite Christmas images are those created by the great American artist and illustrator, NORMAN ROCKWELL.

Even though he has been dismissed by many as an arch-sentimentalist whose portrayals of 20th Century American life were overly sweet and thus not worthy of being considered real art, it is impossible not to admire the meticulous precision of his designs and the detailed naturalism which he achieved in his paintings.

Many of Rockwell's most memorable pictures adorned the front covers of popular American magazines - most notably, Saturday Evening Post to which he contributed for over forty years.

Rockwell (1894-1978) created numerous iconic images, many of them celebrating the Christmas holiday season and, in particular, the personage of Santa Claus, of which the following St Nicks are just a representative delegation...






Norman Rockwell also illustrated several Dickensian scenes and characters such as this trio of Christmas Waits...


A cherubic Mr Pickwick en route to Dingley Dell with a laden Christmas hamper ...


And, from A Christmas Carol, Mr and Mrs Fezziwig dancing the Sir Roger de Coverley...


And - of course - Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim...


You can read more about the artist at the Norman Rockwell Official Web Site and at that of the Norman Rockwell Museum.



***

FINAL REMINDER!!

Don't forget... Time's running out if you want to hear Penelope Keith in my seasonal entertainment, And Yet Another Partridge in a Pear Tree...

This 'Cautionary Tale for Christmas Showing that it is Better to Give than to Receive' can be heard, on-line, via the BBC's Radio 7 iPlayer (And Yet Another Partridge... will be found on the alphabetical listing of shows) but you've only got today and tomorrow to tune in!

Also, you can read the full text of the Bracegirdle letters on my website, Brian Sibley: The Works.

AND...

ROGER the LIBRARIAN has just uncovered yet another, American, parody on 'The Twelve Days of Christmas', though of unknown date and authorship...

Twelve Days After Christmas


The first day after Christmas my true love and I had a fight,
And so I chopped the pear tree down and burned it just for spite.
Then with a single cartridge, I shot that blasted partridge,
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.
The second day after Christmas, I pulled on the old rubber gloves,

And very gently wrung the necks of both the turtle doves.
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.
The third day after Christmas, my mother caught the croup;
I had to use the three French hens to make some chicken soup.
The four calling birds were a big mistake, for their language was obscene.
The five gold rings were completely fake and they turned my fingers green.
The sixth day after Christmas, the six laying geese wouldn't lay,
I gave the whole darn gaggle to the A.S.P.C.A.*
On the seventh day what a mess I found,

All seven of the swimming swans had drowned,
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.
The eighth day after Christmas, before they could suspect,

I bundled up the eight maids a milking, nine pipers piping,
Ten ladies dancing, 'leven lords a leaping,

Twelve drummers drumming and sent them back 'collect'.
I wrote my true love, "We are through, love", and I said in so many words,

"Furthermore your Christmas gifts were for the birds!"

* American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

1 comment:

Arts and Crafts said...

Thank you!!!

I have a good friend that have pasion for Rockwells work.