Monday 23 December 2013

WELL, I'LL BE HUMBUGGED!

As many of you may know, I am something of a fan of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol: a little book that has held a very special place in my heart for fifty years or more.

I have amassed a embarrassingly vast collection of versions of this 'Ghost Story of Christmas' in all its many manifestations: as books, stage, film and TV versions, recordings and an acreage of ephemera.

Every year I stumble across something new like these adaptations of John Leech's famous illustrations created by 'Parodies Lost'...



You can see more of their art parodies, here.

And, only the other day, David returned from the supermarket with a bottle of seasonal booze for me...


I wrote a book about A Christmas Carol, staged three adaptations of the story and, in 1993, compiled a radio celebration of Dickens miniature-masterpiece and its various permutations.

Entitled Humbug! it was directed by the late Glyn Dearman who, when a child, had played Tiny Tim to Alastair Sim's Scrooge!

For those of you who've never heard it (or who wouldn't mind hearing it again) here it is–––


2 comments:

Boll Weavil said...

still one of your best progs Mr B, if not THE best.Not sure about the Tardis though..

Val said...

Thank You :0)